DON'T JUST BE GOOD - BE MARVELOUS!

Looking for the latest in cosmetics, fragrance and fashion? Look no further!

Interested in natural ways to enhance your love life, treat pain, find that extra energy and over all wellness? I can help you!

Online parties available so you don't need to be local!
(U.S. residents only!)



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

From Office Mgr To Lipstick Diva

I used to work as the senior admin for an IT team in one of the world's largest, privately held software firms. I loved my job, loved the people I worked with and despite the politics of the job, I enjoyed what I did. But I don't do the office politics game very well, no matter how hard I tried. And after 26 years at the same company, when they downsized and I got let go, it really didn't break my heart or spirit. Oh I cried, but because I was going to miss my coworkers and because I had lost the financial stability of my family.

It took 18 months and hundreds of resume mailings before I landed a job as the office manager for a painting company. Funny thing is that all those efforts were not what landed the position. I was on a forum that I frequented online and one day someone saw my post about hunting for work and contacted me. I knew them in passing and next thing you know, I'm working for him! That got me through the warm months and the season for house painting before it was layoff time. Seasonal jobs are nice if you have other income but at the time I did not, so I was on the hunt again.

My next attempt was Facebook. I posted that I was seeking administrative work and a cousin hooked me up with a local heating and air company. I worked there for about 6 months before they started to go under, another victim of the economy. This was getting ridiculous!

Over coffee one Saturday morning I was brain storming with my mom, the Diva mom. See, I got divorced after 22 years of marriage and I'm living with mom, my sister, and my two nieces, 17 and almost 21. We call ourselves the Diva Den. Even the 3 cats are females. Estrogen over load? Yep you bet it is! Anyway, Mom and I got to talking and I threw childcare out as an option. I figured it would be steady income until I figured out something else to do. Within a week of getting the word out there through Facebook friends, I was babysitting for 3 siblings. I love this job, it is awesome.

Now that I am a single lady I wanted to go back to wearing my favorite perfume, Avon's Imari. The ex never cared for it but I loved it. I did what any computer addict would do, got online to Avon and searched for a rep in my area. Low and behold, I actually KNOW the one I sent an email too. I never heard a word back. Meanwhile I decided I should consider just selling Avon myself. After all, I like makeup and perfumes, and why not bring in some extra money, right? So, I got on the main site and asked for someone to contact me about being an independent sales rep.

That is, in a nut shell, how this kicked off for me. I met with a rep, she signed me up and for the price of a lipstick I'm a fragrance fairy and lipstick diva baby! I LOVE THIS BUSINESS!!!!

Years ago I had tried my hand at Avon, back when there were territories assigned, and like many I used up all my profits on me. Not a good thing. This time, I am totally motivated. I cannot believe what an awesome corporation this is, and how much control I have over my business. There really is serious money to be made, but not without being willing to work my butt off. But not like I had to do in the corporate world, this time it is all about me and what I want to do with this. I love the work! But that is all stuff for another blog!

Stay tuned for more coming soon!

No comments: